Monday, August 1, 2011

Today I am pondering....



...these words on back of a book I found on the clearance shelf at Borders -



"Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper.



In the interests of full disclosure I have not read the book yet, but this preview passage captivated me.



"I will tell you what a tragedy is. I will show you how to waste your life. Consider this story from the February 1998 Reader's Digest: A couple took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise on their 30 foot trawler, play softball and collect shells....Picture them...on the great day of judgment: 'Look, Lord. See my shells.' That is a tragedy."



I have spent the last 6+ months having my eyes opened to the needs of orphans, especially those with special needs.



The word "tragedy" applies to them as well.



On what...



or WHO....



will we spend our time and treasure on our brief days on this earth?

Collecting shells...

or soothing hurting souls?


3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and something I do think about often. I just hope my pro-life work counts! And I always hope I'm doing enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I couldn't agree more...we need to get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice change in perspective! Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete